Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2022 11:33 pm  #1

Recent Coode Street Pod

I thought some here might enjoy this one. If you’re of a certain age, this look back at earlier eras in SFF might scratch an itch.
It’s a wide-ranging rambling conversation. Here are a few covered topics, to help judge whether this is for you:
Were the classic authors of the Golden Age really so terrific?
Is the stereotype true that contemporary SF is better written, and that the old days were rife with gee-whiz Big Idea novels lacking in literary merit?
Much applause for the exceptionalism of Theodore Sturgeon
A few assertions were made:
-1954 was indeed the greatest year for Hugo nominees (1953 class of novels)
- Heinlein has been toppled from his perch, and his limitations are now widely understood 
- CJ Cherryh is historically closer to the Golden Age than to contemporary SF (I’m reporting; don’t blame the messenger😉)
And much more - have at it if you are interested. Report back, because many interesting conversations could spring from this podcast!

One world -- or none

8/17/2022 12:19 am  #2

Re: Recent Coode Street Pod

I'll give it a go.  I used to be a regular listener of this podcast but got out of the habit some years back.  Time to try again methinks.

And fwiw, Star, some of the topics you mention do resonate with some of my own incomplete and so far  unarticulated thinking about the SF field in recent years.

I can definitely see some interesting conversations ahead, if associates are willing.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

8/17/2022 2:58 am  #3

I’m willing.

And as long as I've raised the topic - I’ve been having a bit of a renaissance with the pod recently - let me offer this from #560, the conversation with Arkady Martine. A few interesting things early on (I haven’t finished). She’s 36, and describes her father’s SF reader-hood and her early experiences with Foundation, and the “deal was sealed” she says with her rapturous experience with Dune. She wrote A Memory Called Empire contemporaneously with her PhD thesis on Byzantium. Then the interviewer brings up Cherryh, and she expresses a huge debt and homage. She read Cyteen at 17, which “was a great age to read a book you are going to reread every five years for the rest of your life." She seems to feel about Cyteen as I do - one of the true classics of SF (I think it’s her deepest exploration of identity). She says people often think she’s writing in response to Ann Leckie, when in fact both are writing in response to Cherryh. She also describes her favorite character in A Memory being her attempt at writing Ari II. She intends to write an upcoming book centered around this character.
The host offers that it makes more sense having heard all this, as he sees Memory as having a bedrock in Foundation, a grounding in Dune, and infused with what he calls Cherryh's Downbelow stories.
I found all this of great interest. Her book is good too!

One world -- or none

8/17/2022 5:05 pm  #4

And now I'll have to listen to that one too.  It 'explains' the obscure Cyteen reference I thought I'd found when reading A Memory Called Empire (and mentioned elsewhere hereabouts at the time in the What Have You Been Reading thread).  Guess I'd better add the sequel to The Pile also.

And I'm reminded of the essay / discussion I still owe associates here on the topic of Cyteen and Gehenna which I haven't yet delivered.  Sigh.

8/18/2022 4:08 am  #5

Surtac wrote:

And now I'll have to listen to that one too.  It 'explains' the obscure Cyteen reference I thought I'd found when reading A Memory Called Empire (and mentioned elsewhere hereabouts at the time in the What Have You Been Reading thread).  Guess I'd better add the sequel to The Pile also.

And I'm reminded of the essay / discussion I still owe associates here on the topic of Cyteen and Gehenna which I haven't yet delivered.  Sigh.

Selfishly I'm very pleased you have now reminded yourself!

One world -- or none

8/20/2022 12:00 am  #6

Ok, a fresh notebook has been assigned and research materiel is being gathered together.

On a related note, does anyone know how or if I can legally acquire ebook versions of  Regenesis and Alliance Rising?  They simply don't seem to be available to me via Amazon in any of its various country incarnations - probably due to the stupid bloody international bookselling regional splits.  Ebook versions are much easier to search.

/end micro rant

9/05/2022 11:17 pm  #7

Just dropping in to note that Martine has picked up a second Best Novel Hugo Award for Desolation.so I'm pushing that one to the top of The Pile to read next.

9/06/2022 4:30 pm  #8

Surtac wrote:

Just dropping in to note that Martine has picked up a second Best Novel Hugo Award for Desolation.so I'm pushing that one to the top of The Pile to read next.

Thanks for the alert!

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild