Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2022 4:04 pm  #1

Should I get rid of my books?

So we are planning to relocate in a year or so. I have five thousand books. My books have a lot of sentimental value to me, but we are trying to declutter and it would be great to have a more spare clean-feeling home. I’ve done the easy part: I’ve divested myself of about 600 of the books, the ones I’m not attached to, the ones that are in poor condition so I’d never read that copy anyway, the ones I’m not interested in. But that still leaves a lot.

I’m looking at the science fiction and pondering. Clearly I want to keep a lot of them. Some I haven’t read and want to read at some point. Others I have read and I’m keeping. For example, I don’t want to live in a home that doesn’t have a copy of Foundation or Stranger in a Strange Land in it. Etc. But a good example is that I’m looking at my 52 Poul Anderson books, I’ve always had a soft spot for him. But do I need all 52? Or the 14 Gordon R Dickson paperbacks. Most are not available in ebook form because they’re old. I’m sure I could find used copies if I ever want them. Or I could hold on to them all and maybe I’ll read some of them at some point. And one day, no doubt, if I don’t do anything, they will end up in a trash dump when I’m gone. Or best case donated if anyone wants decades-old paperbacks. The same could be said for many other books. I don’t know how brutal to be with my scythe.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas?

One world -- or none

2/14/2022 5:55 pm  #2

Re: Should I get rid of my books?

No used bookstores in your area?  Would your local library take them? 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/14/2022 6:42 pm  #3

Thanks Joe - yes there are options for donating here, and I recently did donate a bunch. But the issue for me isn’t where to donate. I guess I wasn’t totally clear. I’m more wondering how others feel about holding on to their books. Would this be difficult for others? Are you sentimentally attached to your books? To all of them or some of them? Would you hold on to a large number of books out of love and attachment to them the way I have?

One world -- or none

2/14/2022 6:54 pm  #4

Yes, I can relate. I have a beaten up, broken copy of Heinlein's "Glory Road" and "Starship Troopers".  My paperback copies of the three volumes of "The Lord of the Rings" are also beaten up.  I have hardbound copies of all of those books, but just can't let go of the paperbacks.  They were the first editions of those books that I read and getting rid of them would be like slamming the door in an old friend's face after not seeing them for years.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/14/2022 8:00 pm  #5

Yes, I would also feel that way about my books. Very rarely do I give up any that have made it into my usually small domain. 

2/14/2022 8:15 pm  #6

Going through a similar process here right now, Star.  Not because we are planning to relocate anywhere, but we are in a serious decluttering mode - after 34 years in this house, it has become increasingly necessary.

I've been struggling with many similar issues and emotions.  It has been hard enough to do the obvious simple things like identifying and removing duplicates so I fully sympathise with Joe's examples.  I have at least four copies of Dune - two are signed paperbacks that my late brother acquired at a signing in Adelaide years ago (one for himself, one for me); one is the John Schoenherr illustrated edition,; the other is part of the Gollancz 50th anniversary book set.  How do I get rid of any of those?   I simply can't.

I feel your pain, Star.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

2/15/2022 10:33 am  #7

I feel your pain, I had to do the same thing. When we retired the two of us moved from a 4,000 sq foot house to one with 1,600 sq feet (and no storage except the unconditioned attic and the wet basement, so no books there).

Since I couldn’t take everything with me, I decided to radically downsize. I took my  magazines (all boxed), but donated the entire bunch to our Universities Special Collections group -- complete Fantasy and Science Fiction, 45 years of Astounding/Analog, 45 years of Locus, Galaxy, Asimov’s, etc. Total was over 2,200 volumes. I didn’t cherry-pick, but occasionally wish I had (the Dune Analogs, The Cordwainer Smith stories in Galaxy, ...). But they went to a “good home” that will protect them, and make them available. 

For my paperbacks, I started at both ends. I pulled the “must keeps” — Cherryh, etc, and set aside the “ok to go” (which ended up being a lot!). Then the hard part, the middle books. I let my mood guide me, and split those up. Then I boxed it all up. The larger part (dunno how many but likely 2-3,000) went to an old friend that is a sci-fi/pulp dealer. He sells them as he can, and I get books from him, so good deal for both of us. I ended up with my favorites and “the best” books. I counted the other day, and it came to 2,000 sci-fi and a couple hundred others.  

Since then, I confess to retrieving some of my books from my friends stacks. It’s not uncommon to see a book come up in discussions, and think, “oh, I had that one”. But I’m content, and in my situation I didn’t really have a choice to keep everything, so the great purge was easier because of that. These days, I read and buy more that ever. Lots of kindle books, which are great for “read once” books. I started back into limited editions (Subterranean, Centipede, Suntup, etc), which are expensive, but are lovely volumes. Some of them, the Suntup in particular, are astounding things to hold. Quality over quantity ! 

PS. I kept most of my Poul Anderson books.  

2/15/2022 10:37 am  #8

If your books are in good shape, I can ask my buddy it he would be interested. He does buy collections, but he has a enormous number of books and magazines (he's never let that stop him tho). 

2/15/2022 2:26 pm  #9

When I moved to Las Vegas 22 years ago, I said I was tired of carting around boxes full of books that I really didn't read, but just wanted to keep.  I donated 1/3 of my collection.  Later I regretted giving away a few of them, not very many, but a few.  But now that I have my own library, my collection has grown again to about a thousand volumes.  I could divest myself of a third of them again, but I would do it much more carefully this time.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

2/15/2022 2:55 pm  #10

Thank you all for the helpful responses, guys. It’s good to know I’m not alone with this issue. I think I’m going to end up erring on the side of overkeeping, but I’m going to really ask myself on each book “Will I miss having this?” If the answer is maybe, it stays, if the answer is it’s hard to see why I would, it goes. I’m sure that will still leave me with many books I will never open again. It’s a hard thing to go through.

And Aja Jin - thanks for the offer which is probably unnecessary for now, and I’m very glad to hear you kept most of your Poul Andersons!

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild