Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2021 8:34 pm  #1

Termination Shock

I have started the new Stephenson, and as could be expected it is wonderfully good. 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Last edited by Kokipy (11/21/2021 9:43 am)

11/17/2021 8:39 pm  #2

Re: Termination Shock

Excellent timing!  I had just heard about this one yesterday, and intended to ask if anyone here had read it yet.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/18/2021 12:33 pm  #3

Just read the NYT review, which made it sound like a terrific book….if you have the spare time of one who rocks her chair on the porch all day with the cat by her side. It made me think “one day”

One world -- or none

11/18/2021 2:07 pm  #4

That’s me, Star!  But I am not rushing through it because books of this quality are far too rare. I want it to last.

11/21/2021 8:08 am  #5

Interesting. I’ve never been a Stevenson fan, but might give this one a try.

11/21/2021 9:42 am  #6

Aja Jin, I am a huge Stephenson fan, so keep that in mind when weighing this decision

11/21/2021 12:38 pm  #7

Kokipy wrote:

Aja Jin, I am a huge Stephenson fan, so keep that in mind when weighing this decision

I really liked Anathem a lot, and Cryptonomicon was good. Diamond Age, couldn't get into it. I probably read Snow Crash when it came out, but don't remember it. 

11/21/2021 4:44 pm  #8

I seem to have an on again off again relationship with Stephenson's work.  I really liked both Diamond Age and Reamde, had a 'meh' reaction to Snow Crash and took a long time to eventually warm to Anathem.   I'm pretty sure I also went on record on a previous incarnation of this board to recount how I only ever managed to finish Cryptonomicon because it was the only book I had with me on a long trans-Pacific flight in the days before Kindles and such-like.
I look forward to hearing Kokipy's opinion of the new title.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/21/2021 4:54 pm  #9

I have that same reaction to Stevenson in general and the same reactions to those particular titles.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

11/22/2021 12:47 pm  #10

I love Stephenson’s work, and consider Cryptonomicon to be a work of brilliance. I tend to buy all his books, but do I read them? Well most of them, but as one always struggling for reading time, often I am daunted by their sheer size. So while I loved, Reamde, Anathem, Snow Crash, Seveneves, I didn’t even attempt the massive doorstop Fall. So I’m confident I’ll like this, but also that it won’t happen soon. Sadly.

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild