Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2020 10:26 am  #51

Re: Alliance/Union books

starexplorer wrote:

I consider myself to be merely a well-intended and good natured irritant here. I have no idea what’s going on in the Foreigner Universe, so I am merely inquiring and objecting to the logic of the responses. I have gotten it into my head, though I may be wrong, that there is active interest in Foreigner-AU connections, though for the life of me it seems like all the evidence is against it. This is more than adequately explained by Aja Jin’s what if-ing, and by the inherent interest in connections even when absent. I remember how fascinating it was to read that famous line in Cyteen about ETs on the other side.....

Anyway to ‘tac’s question, I’d say either put it here or in a new thread on AU/Foreigner speculations, as the kyo thread seems rather specific...

The tie-it-all-together thing is very seductive for fans and for authors later in their careers --- Asimov did it with Foundation and the Robot novels, in a quite clever way I think.  

Last edited by Aja Jin (5/29/2020 10:26 am)

5/29/2020 12:36 pm  #52

well, let me throw a quick monkey wrench before we end it.
In the very first Morgaine novel, the introduction has an ancient inscription that talks about humans and the qhal, and the race that pre-dated the qhal.  Since the qhal moved around the universe using Gates, which they did not invent, but discovered, and used to excess until they created a time disaster, who knows where each of the Gates lead, is it strictly another time and location in the same universe, or does it go to alternate universes?  Morgaine professes not to know, either. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/29/2020 1:53 pm  #53

joekc6nlx wrote:

well, let me throw a quick monkey wrench before we end it.
In the very first Morgaine novel, the introduction has an ancient inscription that talks about humans and the qhal, and the race that pre-dated the qhal.  Since the qhal moved around the universe using Gates, which they did not invent, but discovered, and used to excess until they created a time disaster, who knows where each of the Gates lead, is it strictly another time and location in the same universe, or does it go to alternate universes?  Morgaine professes not to know, either. 

Having just acquired the book "Four from the Witch World", including "Stormbirds" by CJC, maybe some of the qhal gates lead to Witchworld (which also has gates).  Yikes !

5/29/2020 2:37 pm  #54

Minor spoilers.

When someone uses the jump engines in the Alliance/Union books they take drugs, fall asleep and then they are at the destination. An undetermined amount of time passes but subjectively it's very short. They are in one solar system one second and another solar system the next.

The Foreigner drive takes two years subjective time to go from system to system. You don't need to use drugs but why would anyone switch from a transportation system that takes minutes to one that takes years.

If you're going to tell a Foreigner/Alliance/Union book you're going to need to use Morgaine's gates. 

5/29/2020 2:51 pm  #55

I agree Dave.  It would make a great story to tie those three storylines together.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/30/2020 11:44 am  #56

Dunno how Herself would work Foreigner in, but in the prologue to Gates of Ivrel, there is a report from the Union Science Bureau on the Gates.  And one seems to recall that AE2 had a hand in sending the group out thru the gate system to shut them down, which eventually lead to the creation of Changeling and the birth of Morgaine...

5/30/2020 5:08 pm  #57

Aja Jin wrote:

starexplorer wrote:

I consider myself to be merely a well-intended and good natured irritant here. I have no idea what’s going on in the Foreigner Universe, so I am merely inquiring and objecting to the logic of the responses. I have gotten it into my head, though I may be wrong, that there is active interest in Foreigner-AU connections, though for the life of me it seems like all the evidence is against it. This is more than adequately explained by Aja Jin’s what if-ing, and by the inherent interest in connections even when absent. I remember how fascinating it was to read that famous line in Cyteen about ETs on the other side.....

Anyway to ‘tac’s question, I’d say either put it here or in a new thread on AU/Foreigner speculations, as the kyo thread seems rather specific...

The tie-it-all-together thing is very seductive for fans and for authors later in their careers --- Asimov did it with Foundation and the Robot novels, in a quite clever way I think.  

Absolutely. Very seductive. And I remember getting a huge kick out of what Asimov did. So in that sense, why not have fun with this?

I have never been an advocate of the idea that the author is the final arbiter of her work. It belongs to the world now. Maybe she could be convinced by some of the arguments we can further flesh out here?

One world -- or none

6/01/2020 12:15 am  #58

Kroyd wrote:

Dunno how Herself would work Foreigner in, but in the prologue to Gates of Ivrel, there is a report from the Union Science Bureau on the Gates.  And one seems to recall that AE2 had a hand in sending the group out thru the gate system to shut them down, which eventually lead to the creation of Changeling and the birth of Morgaine...

Yes.  That prologue explicitly ties the Morgaine books to Union, and I too recall an Emory reference somewhere, although I can't find it in the prologues of any of the four novels.  Maybe it was in Jane's graphic novel version - and needless to say I can't find my copy of that to check.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/06/2020 9:10 pm  #59

Just noting that my (used, but in otherwise acceptable condition) copy of the Company War game arrived late last week, and I've already teased out a couple snippets of information that weren't present in the CJ C essay it contains.  I've had a transcribed copy of the essay for some years now, and it is very useful for fleshing out the A/U universe background, but these particular tidbits were not in it.  I'm thinking now that the cost of acquiring the game was money well spent..

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/06/2020 9:14 pm  #60

mind sharing, SurTac?

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

Board footera

Contact the Guild