Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2020 8:22 pm  #41

Re: Alliance/Union books

joekc6nlx wrote:

starexplorer wrote:

HRHSpence wrote:

only that both the humans the Kyo are in contact with and the A/U humans all originate from a world named Earth and they are both are space-faring peoples.

Oh. Thank you. That could apply whether the two Universes overlap or don’t. We already knew the human home world was Earth, so all that does is tell us that the kyo are in contact with the original human home world, right? Nothing there suggesting A/U connections.

Not necessarily in contact with the original human home world.  We don't know in this particular timeline how many planets were colonized by Earth, or by descendants of Earth colonies.  It's entirely possible that the kyo are on the opposite side of Earth from A/U.  Another question, since it was brought up that the hyperdrives in the Foreigner series and the A/U series are different, where in humanity's timeline are either of the arcs?  Was there something about the drive on Phoenix that interacted with time-space differently from the drive on say, Finity's End, or Africa/Europe/Australia, and sent them to an alternate universe?  Could other ships have followed Phoenix into that alternate universe, by accident, but headed in a different direction and emerged from hyperspace at a point on the opposite side of the kyo from the Earth of the Atevi?

Right - I misread Spence’s comment as saying the kyo are in contact with Earth, rather than that the humans the kyo are in contact with are originally from Earth or are descendants of people from Earth. But still, given CJ’s denial and the totally hypothetical relationship to A/U not suggested by the text, there doesn’t seem to be much reason to be enthusiastic that there is a relationship between the two universes. Unless I am missing something.

One world -- or none

5/27/2020 11:06 am  #42

So while it appears definitive that the A/U Universe and Foreigner are different, and it's confirmed by CJ, there is some wiggle room. 

The most direct evidence are the hyperdrives, they work differently and effect humans (and others) differently. But, in the Chanur books, the methane breathers have a more advanced hyperdrive, so there may be alternatives. If Foreigner is way down the timeline from our known A/U stories, maybe the hyperdrive is more advanced, including elimination of the need to takes jump drugs. This would clearly be an advantage, especially for military ships.  A more advanced hyperdrive could allow exploration into deeper space beyond what the "contemporary" A/U ships can traverse. 

5/27/2020 11:07 am  #43

I've also started a discussion regarding the Kyo encounter -- but it's got big spoilers, so read accordingly.

Implication from the second Kyo encounter -- spoilers !

5/27/2020 11:28 am  #44

Sorry Star, for not being clearer. Kyo are in contact with a human polity originating from Earth  The A/U humans are also originally from Earth.  Each of the Earths is in a separate universe.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/27/2020 1:27 pm  #45

Aja Jin wrote:

So while it appears definitive that the A/U Universe and Foreigner are different, and it's confirmed by CJ, there is some wiggle room. 

The most direct evidence are the hyperdrives, they work differently and effect humans (and others) differently. But, in the Chanur books, the methane breathers have a more advanced hyperdrive, so there may be alternatives. If Foreigner is way down the timeline from our known A/U stories, maybe the hyperdrive is more advanced, including elimination of the need to takes jump drugs. This would clearly be an advantage, especially for military ships.  A more advanced hyperdrive could allow exploration into deeper space beyond what the "contemporary" A/U ships can traverse. 

I am missing a connection here. If the hyperdrives differ, that would be expected in different sets of novels that have no relation to each other. If the drives were similar, maybe we would see reason behind that to connect the two universes, although it would still be inconclusive without further information, Here we have two different sets of novels with two different hyperdrives. How are the hyperdrives relevant to the discussion of overlap? They are what you would expect if the universes were unrelated.

One world -- or none

5/27/2020 2:34 pm  #46

starexplorer wrote:

Aja Jin wrote:

I am missing a connection here. If the hyperdrives differ, that would be expected in different sets of novels that have no relation to each other. If the drives were similar, maybe we would see reason behind that to connect the two universes, although it would still be inconclusive without further information, Here we have two different sets of novels with two different hyperdrives. How are the hyperdrives relevant to the discussion of overlap? They are what you would expect if the universes were unrelated.

I agree they're (probably) different. I was just having some fun what-if-ing. So IF A/U developed a new style hyperdrive for, say, Phoenix, then our comparison to the hyperdrives we know of in the A/U+Chanur stories would be invalid. Therefore, she's a witch !!! and the universes are the same. 

To beat the horse more, this would also explain why Phoenix experienced the point error --- experimental hyperdrive. Ta-da !! 

5/29/2020 12:35 am  #47

I do love me some of that kind of speculatin' too, sometimes.

In re-reading of AU for research purposes over the last few weeks, I've come across a few intriguing tidbits and notions that could also be cross-fed back from the Foreigner universe into A/U, if one were to draw a very long bow.

Should I keep them to myself, or should I speculate out loud?  And if I do voice them should it be here or in Aja Jin's kyo thread?  Or maybe both.  

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/29/2020 1:44 am  #48

I consider myself to be merely a well-intended and good natured irritant here. I have no idea what’s going on in the Foreigner Universe, so I am merely inquiring and objecting to the logic of the responses. I have gotten it into my head, though I may be wrong, that there is active interest in Foreigner-AU connections, though for the life of me it seems like all the evidence is against it. This is more than adequately explained by Aja Jin’s what if-ing, and by the inherent interest in connections even when absent. I remember how fascinating it was to read that famous line in Cyteen about ETs on the other side.....

Anyway to ‘tac’s question, I’d say either put it here or in a new thread on AU/Foreigner speculations, as the kyo thread seems rather specific...

One world -- or none

5/29/2020 10:24 am  #49

Surtac wrote:

I do love me some of that kind of speculatin' too, sometimes.

In re-reading of AU for research purposes over the last few weeks, I've come across a few intriguing tidbits and notions that could also be cross-fed back from the Foreigner universe into A/U, if one were to draw a very long bow.

Should I keep them to myself, or should I speculate out loud?  And if I do voice them should it be here or in Aja Jin's kyo thread?  Or maybe both.  

How about a new thread !  

5/29/2020 10:24 am  #50

Go for it Surtac.  I think we'd be interested in reading your speculations.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

Board footera

Contact the Guild