Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2020 9:51 am  #1

Alliance/Union books

Below is her Janeness' list of Alliance/Union books in chronological reading order, not published order. Though this was requested elsewhere, I'm creating it as its own topic so it's easier to find. Enjoy!

Events leading up to the First Company War: Hinder Stars
Alliance Rising

Events leading up to the Second Company War: Sol System
Heavy Time 
Hellburner

End of the second war:
Downbelow Station

Sol Post War: Sol's expansion toward Ursa Major stars rather than Barnard's (Tau Ceti)
The Pride of Chanur 
Chanur's Venture 
The Kif Strike Back 
Chanur's Homecoming 
Chanur's Legacy

Union Post War: 
Forty Thousand in Gehenna 
Cyteen (Also published in three pb volumes: The Betrayal,The Rebirth, The Vindication)
Regenesis

Alliance Post War:
Merchanter's Luck 
Rimrunners 
Tripoint 
Finity's End

Way down the timeline, loosely related, if you squint

Brothers of Earth 
Hunter of Worlds 
Serpent's Reach

Faded Sun: Kesrith 
Faded Sun: Shon'Jir 
Faded Sun: Kutath

Morgaine Books
Gate of Ivrel 
Well of Shiuan 
Fires of Azeroth 
Exile's Gate

Rider at the Gate 
Cloud's Rider

Port Eternity 
Voyager in Night 
Cuckoo's Egg 
Hammerfall 
Forge of Heaven

Last edited by Aja Jin (4/26/2020 8:25 am)

4/24/2020 1:36 pm  #2

Re: Alliance/Union books

Thanks for bringing this over!

“The criminal is a creative artist; detectives are just critics.”
― Hannu Rajaniemi, The Quantum Thief
Joined Sep 2, 2009

5/02/2020 8:12 pm  #3

""Sol Post War: Sol's expansion toward Ursa Major stars rather than Barnard's (Tau Ceti)""

Just curious as to where this info came from.  Is there a reference in the books somewhere?  If so I've missed it, and it's the sort of detail I do like collecting.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/02/2020 11:44 pm  #4

Double posting because I’ve just realised that ‘Angel with the Sword’ is missing from the list.  It’s historical background is Union-side, and from the reference material it contains, I’d put it in the timeline after the Mri Wars period of the Faded Sun books.  Just my 2 cents worth.

5/03/2020 8:49 pm  #5

Surtac wrote:

""Sol Post War: Sol's expansion toward Ursa Major stars rather than Barnard's (Tau Ceti)""

Just curious as to where this info came from.  Is there a reference in the books somewhere?  If so I've missed it, and it's the sort of detail I do like collecting.

I'm assuming it’s from that one reference (in Cyteen iirc) to life found in the other direction, although I don’t have the exact quote handy. It does seem to require a leap of assumption....

One world -- or none

5/03/2020 9:06 pm  #6

Yeah.  The other direction, ie. away from Alliance at Pell and Union beyond there is fairly clear, but I don't recall ever seeing a specific reference to Ursa Major before.  I'll have to go looking again in Cyteen and 40K.

5/04/2020 12:30 pm  #7

Tully made some mention of the general topic as I recall? 

5/04/2020 5:09 pm  #8

Kokipy wrote:

Tully made some mention of the general topic as I recall? 

The only thing I found that Tully said is that there were three human governments. I've looked for any other references in my last couple of read through's and that's all I found. 

5/04/2020 5:42 pm  #9

I checked the Cyteen reference - it only mentions ‘the far side of Sol’, and nothing more specific.  There’s a comment in the Chanur books (Jik musing to himself iirc) about Tully’s faction of humanity being ‘the tail of the animal’ or some such.  I’ll dig out the exact reference.

Meanwhile, does anyone know what the status of the mooted official Alliance-Union history is?  Or should I just restart and keep working on my own version?  I think I’ll do that anyway.

5/05/2020 11:35 am  #10

Surtac wrote:

I checked the Cyteen reference - it only mentions ‘the far side of Sol’, and nothing more specific.  There’s a comment in the Chanur books (Jik musing to himself iirc) about Tully’s faction of humanity being ‘the tail of the animal’ or some such.  I’ll dig out the exact reference.

Meanwhile, does anyone know what the status of the mooted official Alliance-Union history is?  Or should I just restart and keep working on my own version?  I think I’ll do that anyway.

Do you have a copy of "The Company Wars"?  It's an 8 page article that came with the game of the same name, with a lot of background on A/U.

Board footera

Contact the Guild