Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2021 8:52 pm  #61

Re: DUNE

It could be that I just haven't seen the responses you have.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/13/2021 9:30 pm  #62

All of the reactions I have seen, both before and after I saw the movie, have been overwhelmingly positive in aggregate terms.  Thinking about the film now, a week after seeing it, I think it works really well as a generally faithful telling of the story up to that part of the book where the film ends.  As Roci notes implicitly upthread all of the story elements are there and are coherent so far.  We now just need to wait for the second film.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

12/14/2021 1:10 pm  #63

I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next film.

On the other hand, I couldn't watch Foundation. I kept yelling at the TV "This isn't Foundation!"

One world -- or none

12/14/2021 1:13 pm  #64

We are watching Apple TV’s “For All Mankind”. Alternate history of the Cold War Space Program. Excellent!

One world -- or none

12/14/2021 2:22 pm  #65

starexplorer wrote:

We are watching Apple TV’s “For All Mankind”. Alternate history of the Cold War Space Program. Excellent!

I'd forgotten all about that one.  Adding it to my watchlist now.

12/14/2021 2:48 pm  #66

I've been meaning to watch "For All Mankind", but haven't gotten around to it yet. Expanse's last season is getting aired and I also want to watch the 3 episode Dune miniseries from 2000 that got uploaded to Youtube for free.

Foundation is another series that I've not read the book of, but the TV series fell flat for me because it gave me a bit of genre-whiplash.

The premise was Seldon's prediction for humanity based on science, and how he goes through careful planning to help humanity survive the coming dark age. 2 of the 3 storylines in the show then completely disregard his careful planning, have everyone in Seldon's program become inexplicably helpless except for 2 magical beings, and 1 uses her magic powers to perform action sequences that fix everything.

On the flip side, the 1 storyline that was 100% invented for the show ended up being the most interesting to me with the empire's heirs. No magic, no superpowers. Just ordinary (if clones can be called ordinary) human beings struggling to hold a decaying empire together while spending their entire lives emulating the emperor they were cloned from. I felt more heartbroken for the youngest emperor than I did for any other character in that show.

Last edited by Roci (12/14/2021 2:49 pm)

12/15/2021 4:04 am  #67

Roci wrote:

I've been meaning to watch "For All Mankind", but haven't gotten around to it yet. Expanse's last season is getting aired and I also want to watch the 3 episode Dune miniseries from 2000 that got uploaded to Youtube for free.

Foundation is another series that I've not read the book of, but the TV series fell flat for me because it gave me a bit of genre-whiplash.

The premise was Seldon's prediction for humanity based on science, and how he goes through careful planning to help humanity survive the coming dark age. 2 of the 3 storylines in the show then completely disregard his careful planning, have everyone in Seldon's program become inexplicably helpless except for 2 magical beings, and 1 uses her magic powers to perform action sequences that fix everything.

On the flip side, the 1 storyline that was 100% invented for the show ended up being the most interesting to me with the empire's heirs. No magic, no superpowers. Just ordinary (if clones can be called ordinary) human beings struggling to hold a decaying empire together while spending their entire lives emulating the emperor they were cloned from. I felt more heartbroken for the youngest emperor than I did for any other character in that show.

That is an interest take on the Foundation series, and I couldn’t finish the series, so I’m in no position to comment on the details. However, it’s apparent that you did not grow up into your reading life with The Foundation Trilogy as one of the core reading experiences of your young life. (At least it was a trilogy at the time, though Asimov added several additional volumes, but I was no longer a child then). Anyway, it proved impossible for me to watch what was alleged to be a show about a beloved set of childhood favorites that had been so altered from the original. No doubt this is my shortcoming.

Last edited by starexplorer (12/15/2021 4:05 am)

One world -- or none

12/15/2021 2:44 pm  #68

I am yet to take on the Foundation book series. I wasn't aware it was a trilogy though, the online vendor I use has 7 books listed. My brother, who chose to read the series before watching, agrees that what he's heard from my watching doesn't match the books any more than a few names shared between characters. I have a feeling it will be a while before he watches the series to compare.

12/15/2021 5:57 pm  #69

I always treat tv and movie versions of books as if they were merely inspired and not the actual thing.  That way I don't get dissapointed.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/15/2021 6:25 pm  #70

HRHSpence wrote:

I always treat tv and movie versions of books as if they were merely inspired and not the actual thing.  That way I don't get dissapointed.

I think that's a very sensible approach, Spence.

Btw, I watched the first episode of Foundation last night (after deciding I was too tired to concentrate on a new alternate history like For All Mankind - I'd be compelled to look for the actual history pivot point).  I was ok with it and will likely watch a little more but, again, as with Dune, I haven't read the book in many years and can recall no details.  How do the books stand up after all this time?  Is it safe or sensible to try to re-read them?

Board footera

Contact the Guild