Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2021 5:03 pm  #51

Re: DUNE

I am wondering about Chalamet playing older Paul as well. It will be interesting to see where it goes.  Did I read that the second movie will end with book two? In which case he won’t be too much older. 

11/10/2021 8:09 pm  #52

I have to wait until December 2nd before the movie is released here.

In the meantime, I have been re-reading the first book for the first time in probably forty years, and am making notes along the way.  I'm about 40% done, and, if anyone is interested, here are my raw notes so far:
- it's not as bad or as turgid a text as i feared it could be this time around.
- at 25% in the plot is moving faster than I remember or expected
- I really don't remember much of the fine detail at all
- it's full of dark forebodings and foreshadowing of plot developments
- it puts me in mind of something I would not have expected it to - an Almodovar melodrama (that's not a negative btw - I happen to like Almodovar's films)
- I also didn't remember Baron Harkonnen being introduced as such a cartoon supervillain in the original text - it explains much of the Lynch film version's portrayal, in retrospect.

Anyway, onwards.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/11/2021 1:17 am  #53

I just finished watching the movie, and without having read the books, it captivated me. I've seen criticism of the movie for cutting some of the background that explained the politics of the world, but in my unread opinion, less is more. I didn't miss the background too much because in the end, it feels like the story is already clear.

Finding out why evil people are evil doesn't always need to happen, at least not immediately. For a two part series that had to get a strong response to get its sequel green-lighted, I think it did a perfectly good job of it.

In a way, it even gave me just the slightest taste of the Faded Sun Trilogy. It's only a superficial comparison: Desert tribes that fight with swords and knives instead of rifles, a man going out to live amongst those tribes and survive and learn among them. I think it's the closest I'll ever come to seeing it.

Last edited by Roci (11/11/2021 1:24 am)

11/11/2021 12:31 pm  #54

Very relieved to hear your impressions so far, 'tac!

We had a discussion of the possible Semitic language influences, and the desert planet certainly pulls for that. Although I suspect Herbert wasn’t trying to be too linguistically rigid or consistent about this. After all, it’s not actually Earth.

Speaking of which, some of the scenes, (and many other major film sequences - Star Wars, The Martian, Lawrence of Arabia, etc) were filmed at Wadi Rum in Jordan. I have a good friend whose mother, bizarrely, visited there over 20 years ago from the US and Portugal and never left. She lives there as a western woman, in her 80s, leading a Bedouin (Fremen?) life.
there’s a short film about her here:
https://youtu.be/utoOpkGI3uo

One world -- or none

11/11/2021 2:28 pm  #55

I always thought of the Dune-verse as Persian/ Ottoman Turk rather than straight up Arabic, m'self.

Went a watched your link video. Interesting. Nice she's able to live like that. Not sure I'd be able to. I liken myself to an oak: aged, thrawn and deep rooted. Only move with great difficult--but boy, when I do, look out.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (11/11/2021 2:43 pm)

11/11/2021 7:01 pm  #56

I based my assertion that the Dune-iverse is Arabic on "The Dune Encyclopedia" which was a work done by a university professor back in the 1970s, I believe.  I have a copy of it, but when you consider that the Emperor is known as the Padishah, that many words in the story are Arabic (although Sietch Tabr is a derivation of Mount Tabor, IMO).  Not saying any of this is conclusive, as the person who would best know is gone. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/15/2021 6:23 pm  #57

I finished my re-read of the first book, and I'm glad I made the effort.  I did not find it disappointing.  What does continue to surprise me is how little of the detail of the story I have retained.  The overall shape of the story I seem to remember fine - he arrival, the betrayal, the escape to the desert, joining with the Fremen and so on right up to what feels now to be a very abrupt resolution - but the details (eg the traitor's identity, Jessica's parentage, Alia's nature) had all gone.

A couple more points from my re-reading notes, for completeness:
-The ecology lecturing from a suffering heat-addled Kynes as he succumbs seems a bit forced, but I can see how that in combination with the world-building appendices serves to boost the books ecological credentials
- a surfeit of self-important pomposity and superficial gravitas in several characters' internal pov self-dialogues exacerbates the overall sense of foreboding and plot foreshadowing and lifts the whole story and its invented mythology into the realms of genuine melodrama imnsho.  And I think thats what I most remember about first encountering this book so many years ago - the meta-story rather than the actual story, if you will.

Anyway, I am now definitely looking forward to seeing this new movie version on the big screen when it gets here.

12/08/2021 2:18 am  #58

Just got back from seeing it in a mostly empty theatre.  I was not disappointed - I thought it was well done.

12/08/2021 10:51 am  #59

It's interesting, most people think it was well done and that some of the excesses of the Lynch version were excised in an appropriate manner.  But, I don't see a lot of the excitement for this version that was seen in the previous one.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/13/2021 8:22 pm  #60

I dunno, Spence, I was very excited about it, and I have seen a number of other very enthusiastic responses here and there. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild