Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/07/2021 10:25 pm  #41

Re: DUNE

I read all the GoT books. When it got too gory (which was often) I skipped ahead.  I didn't watch much more than the first season of the show, though.  It's harder to ignore the visual onslaught of a well-produced TV series.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

11/07/2021 10:46 pm  #42

I too read the GoT books but gave up on the tv version when it was about to go beyond where the books had got to.  There was so much unresolved plot and storylines left that, even with GRRM's involvement, I didn't think the producers could do it justice.

Anyway, back to Dune.  I've started a re-read and am about 15% done so far.  It's different from what I can remember, but it hasn't thrown me out of the story yet, so that's positive.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/08/2021 12:24 pm  #43

I’m the opposite. I think the GoT production is one of the best things ever made for television. Not counting the last two seasons. Love it! Thinking of rewatching. It’s actually a whole family thing for us!

One world -- or none

11/08/2021 1:54 pm  #44

I never watched a single episode of GoT, I got 1/4 of the way through the very first book and said, "Not for me."  Since my brother thinks that's funny, I don't discuss books with him any more.  In fact, there isn't a whole lot of things I do discuss.  I guess my tastes are different from everyone else's, and I'm comfortable with that.  I don't intend to re-read any more of the Dune series, either, lost interest.  I was hopiing CJC would continue with some of the other series, especially Morgaine, but that's not going to happen.  I'm not putting down the Foreigner series, I have all of the books, but I'm wondering if/when we're going to find that all good things come to an end. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/08/2021 5:39 pm  #45

"Not counting the last two seasons."  That's what I was getting at earlier - up to that point  the producers and writers had the books as a map of the territories and boundaries the individual and combined stories were contained within.  That support framework was lost when the expected final book(s) didn't appear and what had been up to then some truly excellent television storytelling started to founder and lose its focus.

Anyway, I'm currently watching season 5 of The Expanse and hoping nothing similar happens to it when the final season drops next month.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/08/2021 8:16 pm  #46

The expanse was (is) tremendous.  I hope it continues to be so til the end of the series.

11/08/2021 11:37 pm  #47

Surtac wrote:

"Not counting the last two seasons."  That's what I was getting at earlier - up to that point  the producers and writers had the books as a map of the territories and boundaries the individual and combined stories were contained within.  That support framework was lost when the expected final book(s) didn't appear and what had been up to then some truly excellent television storytelling started to founder and lose its focus.

Anyway, I'm currently watching season 5 of The Expanse and hoping nothing similar happens to it when the final season drops next month.

Moving past the narrative of the novels may have been an issue in those last two seasons. But they did have access to GRR Martin and his understanding of the story arc. My thought is that the problem wasn’t as much with plot confusion as with pacing. It is very hard to hold a group of actors together for so many years, especially when a series is a popular s this one. Key figures have other opportunities, and the time available is finite. The biggest problem with the final seasons is that they were rushed. Those last seasons might have felt ok if done over four or five. Of course, this did lead to unsatisfactory choices, such as the ending of the threat of the White Walkers. I’m still disappointed and sad  at the wonderful successes and the finale which I try unsuccessfully to forget. But nonetheless those six exalted seasons were a triumph

One world -- or none

11/09/2021 9:21 pm  #48

Just came back from seeing Dune.
Overall: I loved it, especially the ornithopters. Definitely in love with those things. All the starships/transports are just so *massive* feeling. Didn't even recognize Xavier Badam's character. Cant tell if they made him look like 10 miles of bad road or he's just not aging well. Lots of good/excellent actors there, no time wasted, moved right along in 2.5 hrs.

Saw a promo for Wheel of Time as an Amazon prime miniseries. Will have to lie in wait for that one.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (11/10/2021 12:32 pm)

11/09/2021 11:19 pm  #49

I finished Dune too (The movie). Liked it a lot. I am very pleased that I lived long enough to see Dune made into a decent film, unlike the other attempts. Looking forward to 1) the second part 2) Rereading the original 

One world -- or none

11/10/2021 12:06 pm  #50

I just saw Dune as well.  I liked having an actor who looked like an adolescent play Paul Atreides.  I just wonder how well Timotheé Chalamet will do playing an adult fremen Muad Dib.  I agree with what you said Star-ji. This (unlike the previous attempt) is a decent adaptation of the book.

Board footera

Contact the Guild