Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2021 9:38 am  #31

Re: DUNE

I think Kroyd makes an excellent point above- these books changed the landscape when they first came out. They were amazing in their imaginative scope and absolute creativity. They captured the minds of millions. Even tho I found them a bit tedious this last read I still remember, as a separate and still beloved experience, the first and even the next several times I read them. Nothing can change, reduce or taint  my memory of that amazing dive into another world. And the movie brought all the good stuff back, for me. 

11/05/2021 5:26 pm  #32

I am also just now noting CJC’s nod to Herbert in Cyteen where she explores the possibility of bringing back the original’s memory in a clone. 

11/05/2021 6:32 pm  #33

Kokipy wrote:

I think Kroyd makes an excellent point above- these books changed the landscape when they first came out. They were amazing in their imaginative scope and absolute creativity. They captured the minds of millions. Even tho I found them a bit tedious this last read I still remember, as a separate and still beloved experience, the first and even the next several times I read them. Nothing can change, reduce or taint  my memory of that amazing dive into another world. And the movie brought all the good stuff back, for me. 

This make sense to me. What doesn’t make sense is that there might be no valid reason for Dune to be so elevated in my own memory as a wonderful book in combination with its informal place as a classic of SF. Even if it is the case that is lacking in some dimensions of artistic merit, there must be others on which it succeeds. And there is no question of its influence on the genre at large. I do plan to reread it when I can, and look forward to being able to make a more informed set of comments.

One world -- or none

11/05/2021 7:38 pm  #34

I am eager to hear what you all think when you reread. It might have just hit me wrong and I certainly don’t insist on my take. And for sure Frank’s Dune trilogy  is miles better than the Brian sequels. A whole other universe of writing. And the movie brought back the feeling of the first time through the books, 
but this experience does make me afraid to reread LOTR, which for years and years I reread every year. I haven’t done that, though, in 40 years or so. 

11/05/2021 8:21 pm  #35

I haven't reread Dune in a long time.  In fact, I doubt I will reread it, other than selected parts.  For example, at the dinner where the water merchant is baiting Paul, and Paul diplomatically puts him in his place, they are discussing ecology.  However, the parts I do not care for involve the senseless cruelty (in my opinion) shown to other humans.  My brother laughs at me for that kind of sentiment, and truthfully, I don't care if he finds it funny.  (He made fun of me because I didn't like "Game of Thrones".) 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/06/2021 11:44 am  #36

Kokipy wrote:

I am eager to hear what you all think when you reread. It might have just hit me wrong and I certainly don’t insist on my take. And for sure Frank’s Dune trilogy  is miles better than the Brian sequels. A whole other universe of writing. And the movie brought back the feeling of the first time through the books, 
but this experience does make me afraid to reread LOTR, which for years and years I reread every year. I haven’t done that, though, in 40 years or so. 

I never read LotR as a child, somehow. Maybe that is the key here: there was no life-changing teen experience to fail to live up to. Nonetheless, I read it as an adult right before the movies came out, and it was WONDERFUL. In my overblown opinion, it is among the true classics of 20th century literature. It’s not without any flaw, but it’s beautifully written and epic and the world building and content are breathtaking. And even more to the point, I’ve been slowly reading it to starwoman, and she absolutely loves it and thinks it wonderful too!

One world -- or none

11/06/2021 6:48 pm  #37

That just makes me beam, Star. I read those books first when I was 13. And they captured me completely then. Your experience encourages me to revisit them. 

11/07/2021 12:20 am  #38

Kokipy wrote:

That just makes me beam, Star. I read those books first when I was 13. And they captured me completely then. Your experience encourages me to revisit them. 

One world -- or none

11/07/2021 11:46 am  #39

I slogged through the first two - or three of the Game of Thrones books and decided that I did not want to give any of the characters any space in my head. The only thing that interests me about the filmed version is the pictures I have seen of the costumes in an article on the needlework involved on the ornamentation.
I find it difficult to reconcile the feeling of the books with the impression I have gathered of the author himself.

Last edited by Pence (11/07/2021 11:47 am)

11/07/2021 6:02 pm  #40

I have actually read the GoT books, painful tho they are, but I am with Joe on watching them. Even though I knew what was coming I couldn’t bear to see it all acted out before me. Horrible things happening to people who often were innocent. I did see enough to agree with those who felt the show was well done. I just couldn’t bear it 

Board footera

Contact the Guild