Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2021 5:10 pm  #1

DUNE

Child and I just saw it. we were in an IMAX theater with about 6 other people. I thought it was just wonderful. A great realization of how I imagined it. And pretty good acting for the most part too, which is always a plus.

10/22/2021 5:20 pm  #2

Re: DUNE

That's good news.  I'd heard mostly positive reactions so far, but one coming from within our own Association  brings additional gravitas imo.

Thanks Kokipy.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

10/22/2021 6:55 pm  #3

I will be interested to hear how others respond to it. 

10/22/2021 7:02 pm  #4

I was considering waiting til it came on Netflix, but if it's as good as you say, I may brave the theater to see it.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

10/22/2021 9:59 pm  #5

Wait. What?! It's out? *ack*

10/23/2021 7:28 am  #6

Spence, I thought it was wonderful to see it on the IMAX screen. We went to the 2 pm show, which was why the theater was so empty. From a COVID avoidance perspective that was a good thing.
it reminded me of how thrilled I was to see C3P0 and R2d2 wandering past the skeleton of the great sandworm  on Tatuine the first time I saw  Star Wars 
i was also very gratified to learn that I have been pronouncing Bene Gesserit and Atreides correctly all these years👍

10/23/2021 11:47 am  #7

I had always read it as "Bay-nay GESS-er-it", and "a-TRAT-i-deez", the first one is Latin, the second is Greek.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

10/25/2021 8:59 pm  #8

I always assumed Bene Gesserit had Semitic language origins, as “bene”, pronounced roughly bih-NAY in Arabic and Hebrew Is a common word for “The children of”.

One world -- or none

10/26/2021 10:56 am  #9

In the movie, the “G” is soft and the emphasis is on the first syllable in Bene. Your linguistic contribution is interesting, Star. I am with Joe on the Greek origins of Atreides, which in fact the book tells us is the unbroken line of the house of Atreus  
I have been rereading the books, inspired by the movie, and I have to say they don’t hold up as well as I had hoped. They are so very very portentous and self important. I am up to God Emperor of Dune, and it actually seems a little better so far than Children of Dune. This is quite a disappointing development, though

10/26/2021 11:40 am  #10

I'm no Latin scholar, although I thought about this years ago when I first read Dune (way back in the very early 1970s or late 1960s).  Bene Gesserit, "It will carry well.", as a literal translation.  Perhaps, "It will last well."  As "gessere" means to wage, such as waging war.  Again, it's just a literal translation. 
Star has a point, though, since the dominant language in Dune is actually Arabic. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Board footera

Contact the Guild