Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2021 6:23 pm  #11

Re: A place to quarantine ranting and venting.

Wow, Joe. You are facing so much and now your brother is too!  Sorry to say, I'm also too old to donate bone marrow.  But if there is a registry, please let us know.  I'll gladly pass it along to people that I think would be interested.  

You're right, getting old ain't for the weak at heart.  Or, as my Dad said, "There's no up side to this getting old business *except* it beats the alternative." 

My best to you and your brother.  I'll be thinking of you both.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit.  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  
- Arthur Schopenhauer

11/04/2021 6:32 pm  #12

Gadgetnut,
Thank you. Either of the two links below.  Please note these are in the U.S, I'm sure there are other organizations in other regions of the world.  Obviously, those others would probably not be feasible in my brother's case.
http://bethematch.org
https://rarediseases.org/organizations/national-marrow-donor-program/

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/17/2021 11:54 am  #13

couple of things:  I'm going to contact the coordinator for the county where my brother lives and see if she can organize a blood drive for him. He's waiting on a call from one of the best cancer centers in the country, as well.
second:  I saw the orthopedist this morning about my right elbow.  This has had two surgeries already to remove arthritic bone tissue.  Well, this morning he said that there is really no other option than to go back in and do a total replacement of the elbow.  That will effectively end some of the activities I do, but since I've pretty well adjusted to that fact already, I guess I'll survive.  I can still kayak, and some of my other activities are okay.  I haven't done kendo in 6 years, and that is out, too.  I'm not supposed to lift any more than 10 pounds with that arm after the surgery.  So, surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from today.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/17/2021 4:56 pm  #14

Good luck on the surgery, Joe.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

11/17/2021 6:55 pm  #15

Yes, best wishes for that Joe. Here's hoping it solves or at least alleviates the ongoing issues.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/18/2021 1:13 pm  #16

More good stuff:  I got a call from the blood center, they're organizing a drive and featuring my brother.  It'll be December 15 in his home town, and it's already been set up by the sponsoring company.  They said they have no problem with featuring my brother.   I let him know about that, so even though I can't donate (I just did 2 days ago), I hope this will help.  He sent me a text that he has an appointment with the cancer center at The Ohio State University on December 3.  The James Cancer Center is one of the best in the country, so I know he'll be in good hands. 

11/19/2021 12:11 pm  #17

Good to hear good news.

11/20/2021 11:13 am  #18

I got a call from the coordinator of the blood drives for the county where my brother lives. There is a blood drive already scheduled for Dec 15 in his town, sponsored by one of the corporations there.  They've got everything set up, the rent for the venue is paid, etc., but they graciously agreed to feature my brother as a "target recipient" for this drive.  He also has an appointment at the James Cancer Center at The Ohio State University on December 3. 

11/20/2021 4:03 pm  #19

Joe, hope the news continues to be good as far as help for your brother. Keep us posted on the elbow surgery.  Naproxen.... watch your kidney levels with that stuff, I had to stop taking it for my tendonitis.

The world isn't perfect,that's why it's beautiful

11/20/2021 4:28 pm  #20

Thanks.  Dr. lowered my dosage 2 months ago from 1,000 mg per day to 550 mg per day, and the acetaminophen dosage from 2,600 to 1,000 mg per day.  I have routine blood tests every 3 months, as well.

Board footera

Contact the Guild