Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2021 12:04 pm  #71

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Yeah, Hail Mary is a fluffy quick read.  The Dan Brown of scifi LOL, pretty accurate. Altho Dan does quite well in terms of sales, so not a bad place to be.

8/15/2021 5:28 pm  #72

What put me off Dan Brown was realising that the structure and sequencing of each book was identical = they were clearly, in hindsight, written to the same pattern.

He's not the only author who does that, of course.  I once made the mistake some years ago of reading two Patricia Cornwell books back to back having never previously read anything by her.  I haven't been able to touch her writing since.  Other than the character names, the books were essentially identical.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

8/15/2021 5:32 pm  #73

Aja Jin wrote:

Yeah, Hail Mary is a fluffy quick read.  The Dan Brown of scifi LOL, pretty accurate. Altho Dan does quite well in terms of sales, so not a bad place to be.

If sales and money are the reasons to write - and those are understandable motives - Dan Brown is a success. Without going into detail, I find his actual books personally unreadable. But I’d swap bank accounts with him!

One world -- or none

8/16/2021 7:14 am  #74

starexplorer wrote:

Aja Jin wrote:

If sales and money are the reasons to write - and those are understandable motives - Dan Brown is a success. Without going into detail, I find his actual books personally unreadable. But I’d swap bank accounts with him!

I thought the first one was quite good.  The rest (I read a couple), were kinda the same.  So yeah, same approach. 

Last edited by Aja Jin (8/16/2021 7:15 am)

8/21/2021 6:10 pm  #75

Finished Abercrombie's The Trouble with Peace and jumped straight into the Bobiverse via the first book, We Are Legion.

Wow, what a contrast.  Joe had me turning virtual pages at a ferocious rate because I needed to know what would happened to characters I've come to care about as I start to realise the long game he has been playing over all the earlier books in that universe. 

Whereas Legion had me turning pages simply to get to the end,  A procession of variations on a theme, the various Bobs had me so confused at times I had to go back to the chapter heads to remind myself which POV version was in play.  It reminded me a little of Scalzi's Redshirts which is a book I have been unable to finish to this day.  All sizzle but no steak imo.

8/23/2021 1:23 pm  #76

I am not going to defend the Bobs. I have been extremely uncertain of whether they have any merit beyond the curious ability to group many topics of interest under a single umbrella. 

8/23/2021 3:21 pm  #77

I just re-read I Am Legend. I'd forgotten what a good read it is. And the ending is amazing. Highly recommended. PS Don't judge it by the movies

8/23/2021 5:58 pm  #78

Yeah, the movie was a bit lame.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

8/23/2021 6:09 pm  #79

HRHSpence wrote:

Yeah, the movie was a bit lame.

That's one reason why I tend to avoid movies that are based on books, although some aren't too far off, I still want MY interpretation of the story, characters, scenes, etc., instead of the director's interpretation.  For that, I rely on the book.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

8/23/2021 6:31 pm  #80

Matheson's I Am Legend?  Yes, I remember it well.  It is indeed a good book.

I'm currently reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Expert System's Champion, and I discovered last night that there is a new Alastair Reynolds book imminent, set in the Revelation Space universe!

Board footera

Contact the Guild