Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2021 3:42 pm  #41

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

I loved DODO. The Lay of Walmart, iirc, was magnificent 

It was!  But what really had me howling was the transcript of the appropriations committee session.  : )

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

7/01/2021 9:19 am  #42

I don’t remember that so clearly it is time for a reread

7/02/2021 11:08 pm  #43

NS: I used to say one of only three authors whose every work I buy without research or question. But I’ve relegated Ian McDonald to the provisional purchase category, leaving only NS and KSR in the former.

One world -- or none

7/06/2021 4:14 pm  #44

Has McDonald written anything lately, Star? I haven’t seen anything from him in years. Is your change in practice based on disappointment in a recent work?

7/10/2021 12:49 pm  #45

My public library tax dollars have been at work. During the last 2 months:
FALLING by T.J. Newman (aviation thriller)

THE SEVEN-STOREY MOUNTAIN by Thomas Merton (spiritual autobiography) (still in progress)

THE LAST DAYS OF JOHN LENNON by James Patterson (still in progress)

TITANIC by Michael Davie

THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE ANDREA DORIA by Greg King & Penny Wilson

SCUBA DIVING (5th ed) by Dennis Graver (instructional)

UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by Alex Mustard  (just got yesterday)

OAHU REVEALED by Andrew Doughty (guidebook)

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO HAWAIIAN REEF FISHES, SEA TURTLES, DOLPHINS, WHALES, & SEALS by John Hoover

THE O'AHU SNORKELERS & SHORE DIVERS GUIDE by Francisco de Carvalho

In May, finally finished PETER THE GREAT by Robert Massie.  This massive book took nearly 2 months, and nearly finished me.  Minutiae of endless wars was tiresome as best.

7/10/2021 1:48 pm  #46

Felicitous Sk8er wrote:

My public library tax dollars have been at work. During the last 2 months:
FALLING by T.J. Newman (aviation thriller)

SCUBA DIVING (5th ed) by Dennis Graver (instructional)

UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by Alex Mustard  (just got yesterday)

OAHU REVEALED by Andrew Doughty (guidebook)

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO HAWAIIAN REEF FISHES, SEA TURTLES, DOLPHINS, WHALES, & SEALS by John Hoover

THE O'AHU SNORKELERS & SHORE DIVERS GUIDE by Francisco de Carvalho

Sounds like SCUBA diving is in your future.  I took several PADI courses while stationed on Guam.  Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of good diving spots in West Central Ohio.  I don't own a full wetsuit or a drysuit, either.  The water of the Philippine Sea was usually around 84 degrees (F).  I made it as far as Rescue Diver, one step below Divemaster.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

7/10/2021 2:03 pm  #47

That's a pretty impressive read.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

7/10/2021 6:41 pm  #48

Kokipy wrote:

Has McDonald written anything lately, Star? I haven’t seen anything from him in years. Is your change in practice based on disappointment in a recent work?

I'd ask the same questions, Star.

I read and enjoyed the Luna books a few years back but I've only seen two shorter titles more recently.  Time Was is an excellent examination of enduring love across temporal boundaries and well worth seeking out imnsho.  The Menace from Farside is a more recent shorter piece in the Luna universe that I also enjoyed.

I know that McDonald has (had?) a day job in tv production, and I believe the Luna series was picked up for tv not so  long ago, so possibly he has been diverted or distracted..

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

7/15/2021 11:45 am  #49

I started several books and wandered off without finishing them.  Finally decided to revisit a favorite, Victoria Goddard's "The Hands of the Emperor," and so far it's keeping my interest even though I know what's coming next.

7/15/2021 7:02 pm  #50

I finished Liz Williams' Blackthorn Winter and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It deserves a proper review which I'll get to shortly..

Next up is a limited edition Keith Roberts chapbook which I only became aware of a few weeks back and of course had to track down.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild