Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2021 7:22 pm  #31

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Just finished “Master of Djinn” by P. Djèlí Clark  A fascinating, vivid, steampunk-ish Egypt, with well done characters and a good story, Recommended, as are the shorter associational works, available on TOR.com. 

Last edited by Aja Jin (6/23/2021 7:22 pm)

6/23/2021 9:57 pm  #32

I have to admit I read (and liked) Gates of Ivril and not the subsequent ones. I guess I need to go back and finish what I started!

One world -- or none

6/24/2021 6:22 am  #33

I wasn't all that satisfied after "Wells of Shiuan" and then "Fires of Azeroth", but "Exile's Gate" picked up a lot better, IMHO.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

6/24/2021 12:39 pm  #34

joekc6nlx wrote:

I wasn't all that satisfied after "Wells of Shiuan" and then "Fires of Azeroth", but "Exile's Gate" picked up a lot better, IMHO.

I feel the same way

6/24/2021 5:09 pm  #35

I always thought that both Wells and Fires were part of the same single story but conventional publishing wisdom at the time would not have allowed a single volume of that aggregate combined  size.    Exile's Gate was published a good fifteen years after the first Morgaine volume and publishing norms had changed in favour of longer books..

But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/24/2021 5:38 pm  #36

Wells and Fires were, in my opinion, very closely tied to one another, as the people from Shiuan poured through the open gate to Azeroth, overwhelming that world.  Exile's Gate was a good standalone novel on its own, but it still left me hanging.  You know she and Vanye have many more Gates to close, and perhaps they'll come full circle back to from where Morgaine started. I forget whether the team was from Alliance or Union, but it's in the introduction to Ivrel, I believe.

Last edited by joekc6nlx (6/24/2021 5:39 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

6/24/2021 7:22 pm  #37

Union's Science Bureau is quoted in the intro to Ivrel - it mentioned a team has been prepared implying the team is from Union.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/24/2021 8:17 pm  #38

Thanks...I had a 50% of being right....

6/30/2021 9:24 am  #39

So as not to engage yet another obsession until I have the current one (a fanfic for The Outer Worlds) out of my system, I did some reading of things I've read before: George R. R. Martin's "Tuf Voyaging" (which for some reason I can't articulate right now, strikes me as a little more off than it did when I first read it years ago) and "The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O." by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.  The latter feeds directly into the angle I'm taking for my fanfic (a narrative that explores the Everett/Many-Worlds foundation of quantum mechanics), which is something I outright sole from Neal's "Anathem" anyway.  It is really good, I'm finding, to put down the electronics and just go sit down with a physical book. Sure, I have the Kindle app, but my book can't text me, or ding me with a notification, or receive calls, and that is -- from time to time -- really needful.

Kokipy wrote:

...the Vorkosigan Saga...

Ah!  That entire series is so, so, so very good!

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

6/30/2021 3:33 pm  #40

I loved DODO. The Lay of Walmart, iirc, was magnificent 

Board footera

Contact the Guild