Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2023 4:20 pm  #231

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

We just finished watching the first season of Slow Horses. Wow, what a great show! Highly recommended! And I liked the books a lot too, but the show i think may be even better. it follows the book in plot and character very closely, while still managing nuance that I think was left opaque, deliberately, in the book. 

I agree Kokipy.  And I think a huge part of the credit goes to the casting director, not just for Gary Oldman and Kristin Scott Thomas, but for nailing the right actors in all the other Slough House roles.

Now it's time for you to watch the second season which, imo, is just as good.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

2/17/2023 9:25 pm  #232

Yes, really looking forward to it. We blitzed through the last three episodes of season 1 last night-just couldn’t restrain ourselves. I managed to hold all spoilers behind my teeth The problem will be that there are all too few episodes in Season 2, and then we have to wait who knows how long for Season 3.  I assume they plan to keep going. 
And I agree on the casting. They are all just splendid. River is perfect, Catherine is fabulous, Min is Min, and Louisa and Roddy- wonderful. I had the idea Roddy was chubby, but this actor is better than I had imagined. 

Have you watched All Creatures Great and Small? We were thrilled to see Siegfried’s actor playing Peter Judd (as we had been to see the actor who played one of the Durrell children in the Durrell series appearing as Tristan in ACG&S). 

2/17/2023 11:05 pm  #233

I assume you mean the recent remake of ACG&S, Kokipy?  I haven't seen that one.

I grew up with the 1980s version, so I remember Robert Hardy as Siegfried and Peter Davison as Tristan (before he became Doctor Who).  Ah, showing my age again now ...

2/18/2023 8:59 am  #234

Yes, the remake of ACG&S. I dont think I saw the earlier one. This one is terrific, though. a nice counterpoint to Slow Horses. 

2/18/2023 11:26 am  #235

Just finished Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Some really remarkable characters. Also leaves me surprised that Britain actually managed to survive despite the entrenched backward looking fossilized amateurs in its establishment.

2/18/2023 4:38 pm  #236

Pence wrote:

Just finished Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Some really remarkable characters. Also leaves me surprised that Britain actually managed to survive despite the entrenched backward looking fossilized amateurs in its establishment.

Yes, a fascinating story overall.  A real example of that rugged individualism, boys-own adventure stuff that the British used to be so good at for sheer stubbornness and inventiveness in the face of Establishment institutionalism and inertia.  Sad to note that they may well have been the last generation of their kind.  No wonder the story was buried and hidden.

3/02/2023 5:14 pm  #237

Just finished a reread of Janet Kagan's 'Mirabile'. Still hasn't lost its appeal
. She died way too soon.

3/02/2023 5:57 pm  #238

Pence wrote:

Just finished a reread of Janet Kagan's 'Mirabile'. Still hasn't lost its appeal
. She died way too soon.

Not an author whose work I'm familiar with, Pence.  I shall have to remedy that.

I finished Vandermeer's Annihilation a week or so back, but find myself still thinking about it a lot.  Wondering whether to check out the movie version.

Currently reading the new Paul McAuley.

3/04/2023 10:15 pm  #239

I think she only had 3 novels published before she died. There is a collection of her short stories on line - Janet Kagan - Her Real Domain.
Hellspark is her real masterpiece. Mirabile is one of my comfort reads. I'm a bit of a sucker for SF that does good biology.

Last edited by Pence (3/04/2023 11:12 pm)

3/04/2023 10:16 pm  #240

I'm now rereading Kimbriel's "Fires of Nuala". A wonderful piece of world creation.

Board footera

Contact the Guild