Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2022 4:56 pm  #191

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Surtac wrote:

I finished Edges by Linda Nagata.  Proper huge scale space opera  - no FTL, deep time-scales,  multiple Big Dumb Objects just off-stage, nano-machines, virtual reality, preservation and storage of identity and personality, alien Berserker warships, and other such tropes.  It's the start of a trilogy, a follow-up sequence written 20 years later from her earlier Deception Wells / Nanotech succession books in the same fictional universe  - books which clearly influenced writers such as Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher amongst others.

I enjoyed and recommend it, and I'll be diving back into the trilogy soon.  But first, a crime palate cleanser to clear the mental synapses, I think.

I just finished book 3 Needle, after rereading the first two. I enjoyed it a lot, but realized about 2/3 through there was no was she’d get this wrapped up. Lots and lots of loose ends. Turns out, there are two more books planned, which seems about right pacing and plot wise.  

7/20/2022 5:53 pm  #192

Aja Jin wrote:

Surtac wrote:

I finished Edges by Linda Nagata.  Proper huge scale space opera  - no FTL, deep time-scales,  multiple Big Dumb Objects just off-stage, nano-machines, virtual reality, preservation and storage of identity and personality, alien Berserker warships, and other such tropes.  It's the start of a trilogy, a follow-up sequence written 20 years later from her earlier Deception Wells / Nanotech succession books in the same fictional universe  - books which clearly influenced writers such as Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher amongst others.

I enjoyed and recommend it, and I'll be diving back into the trilogy soon.  But first, a crime palate cleanser to clear the mental synapses, I think.

I just finished book 3 Needle, after rereading the first two. I enjoyed it a lot, but realized about 2/3 through there was no was she’d get this wrapped up. Lots and lots of loose ends. Turns out, there are two more books planned, which seems about right pacing and plot wise.  

That makes sense.  I'm nearing the end of the second book and the overall scope and context of the individual characters stories are still broadening and diverging.  They're nowhere near ready yet to start converging to a coherent resolution.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

7/21/2022 6:19 am  #193

Surtac wrote:

Aja Jin wrote:

Surtac wrote:

That makes sense.  I'm nearing the end of the second book and the overall scope and context of the individual characters stories are still broadening and diverging.  They're nowhere near ready yet to start converging to a coherent resolution.

not a spoiler, but book 3 expands things again

7/21/2022 2:21 pm  #194

I just read Bewilderment by Richard Powers - near future, not really too much sci fi, lovely writing. recommend it as a change of pace. It was a lot shorter than The Overstory, a tighter story. I was inspired to read it by KSR’s recommendation on the Ezra Klein podcast, recommended by Star. 

7/23/2022 9:31 pm  #195

Finished Nagata's Silver.  I enjoyed it but I think I want a break from that universe before I jump back in with Needle..

I found Paul McAuley's War of the Maps sitting unread on the kindle so will attack that one next.

7/25/2022 7:46 pm  #196

I just read “Old Man’s War”. For the first time.  I do like Scalzi! This one was like a mashup of Starship Troopers and Laumer’s Retief books.  

7/30/2022 9:28 pm  #197

Kokipy wrote:

I just read Bewilderment by Richard Powers - near future, not really too much sci fi, lovely writing. recommend it as a change of pace. It was a lot shorter than The Overstory, a tighter story. I was inspired to read it by KSR’s recommendation on the Ezra Klein podcast, recommended by Star. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it Koki-ji ….but I could have sworn KSR recommended Powers’ The Echo Maker. Or have you already read that one?

One world -- or none

7/30/2022 9:31 pm  #198

I just read Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti novellas. Nigerian-influenced SF. It was pretty good, but not must-read stuff, unfortunately.
Currently halfway through Jeff Vandermeer’s Annihilation. So far very promising and well crafted. Will report back 

One world -- or none

8/03/2022 4:55 pm  #199

I don’t remember, Star- he certainly did recommend Echo Maker, and may not have mentioned Bewilderment, but his endorsement of all things Powers was clear and Echo Makers was not available at the library and Bweilderment was. 

8/03/2022 11:28 pm  #200

I can recommend War of the Maps by Paul McAuley.  I had forgotten what a good writer he is - Austral, The Quiet War, Cowboy Angels, Something Coming Through are all books worth reading imho and this one is too.

It's far future, large scale SF confined to a single world, but it's not an ordinary world. It reminds me of Wells' War of the Worlds, Niven's Ringworld sequence and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station all at once and not in any negative fashion. Sympathetic characters in a compelling story well-told in a slowly unfolding illumination of the scale and nature of the setting made it a very enjoyable read.

Extra thumbs up for the use of the Gibsonian meaning of 'jackpot' and a genuine LOL for the unexpected Transmetropolitan reference.

Board footera

Contact the Guild