Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2021 6:52 am  #11

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Surtac wrote:

I haven't finished it yet, but so far Blackthorn Winter is very much of a kind with Comet Weather - strong echoes of Graham Joyce and Keith Roberts writings in the way it deals with spirits of place and the hauntology of mundane modern day British fantasy ,

I should have more thoughts when I've finished it.

My reaction to desolation is the same as yours. I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the original.  I was impressed with the ending. I thought with 20% left it would be a cliff-hanger, but it got at least somewhat wrapped up.  Some edit/shortening of the middle and a bit more at the end would have been an improvement, but that’s a quibble. Still strongly recommended for both. 

5/16/2021 12:19 pm  #12

Just finished Fugitive Telemetry - good escape reading.

5/16/2021 6:49 pm  #13

Why am I the last to know? Yes, I’ve been intending to read Octavia Butler forever, but I’ve just gotten around to it. I recently finished Wild Seed. Really well done, and it grabbed from page one. I’m halfway through Dawn, which is good but perhaps not as gripping. I am excited to have finally made this discovery!

In nonfiction, I’m reading The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11, which takes the reader through every aspect of the day using short snippets of individual accounts. I expect many will not wish to remember in this granular detail, but I’m interested. And Lisa Feldman Barrett’s Seven and a Half Lessons About the Brain. She is a neuroscientist with deep insight into how to think about our brains and our humanness.

One world -- or none

5/25/2021 8:36 pm  #14

I've been rereading Rebecca Ore. Her aliens are quite different from CJ's. Ore seems to focus more on biology. Although there is quite a lot of social/instinctual conflict. Accommodation seems to be the focus rather than understanding.
I've also been reading some "end permian mass extinction" stuff. If anybody is interested:
Peter Brannen THE ENDS OF THE WORLD. Written by a science journalist, he describes the 5 instances of mass extinctions in earth's past (the present being #6) Actually very well written, with lots of interviews with paleontologists around the country.
I've also got 2 on the specific permian one. working through it.

Wild about cats, handmade lace, CJ Cherryh.   politics junkie

6/05/2021 12:27 am  #15

Halfway through THE PREMONITION by Michael Lewis, about the COVID-19 pandemic. Riveting.  Star, thank you for turning me on to this terrific author.

6/18/2021 10:44 am  #16

I have been indulging in the Lee/Miller Liaden universe. Fun. But like all fun things, I will be done with it in two more volumes.

Yesterday 6:12 am  #17

Kokipy wrote:

I have been indulging in the Lee/Miller Liaden universe. Fun. But like all fun things, I will be done with it in two more volumes.

There are quite a few volumes?  Can you give a comment or two?

Board footera

Contact the Guild