Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2022 3:46 pm  #161

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Not reading fiction, rather military history relating to rifle marksmen and snipers. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/01/2022 5:00 pm  #162

In fiction - Roseanna, the first Martin Beck mystery from Sweden's Sjowall and Wahloo.

In non-fiction, Steven Wilson's recent memoir Limited Edition of One.

And Joe reminds me once again of a concept described in Olga Tokarczuk's wonderful Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead,

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/16/2022 1:28 pm  #163

I have really enjoyed the Rivers of London books, Aja Jin, but I have lost track of them. I think I have read all the books, but got a bit sideswiped in the graphic novels, which is not a genre I relish.
I am up to date on Stross’s Atrocity Archives, but don’t really like all the gross stuff.
I am also up to date on Jodi Taylor’s’  St Mary’s time travels, which I enjoy immensely but now have to wait for the next installment. 
I am looking forward to Guy Gavriel Kay’s new book, which will be released tomorrow. He just gets better and better, imo.
I haven’t been reading much. Mostly doomscrolling about Ukraine.
I have been rereading Victoria Goddard at night, for peaceful sleeping. Pence knows how much I love these books.
I also just finished a completely enjoyable reread of Heyer’s The Talisman Ring.
I feel at a loss for something new and engrossing. I am tempted by the Jemisin- I did not much like her contemporary urban fantasy even tho it was set in NYC, but I suspect she is stronger in a completely imagined setting.
I reread some Octavia Butler, but it didn’t do me much good. 

5/16/2022 1:40 pm  #164

Oh my, look what I just found: Ann Leckie’s recommendations, from her blog:
https://annleckie.com/blog/

5/16/2022 6:35 pm  #165

A good find, Kokipy, and one that deserves checking out more closely.

I fully concur with her endorsement of the Adrian Tchaikovsky books - I think I've mentioned them here before. And I should look for the Gillian Polack as she's a local hereabouts - a fellow Canberran.

(Note to self: see if a local Conflux convention is planned for later this year ... )

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/22/2022 8:35 pm  #166

A short story by Harlan Ellison called "Glow Worm", published in Analog, IIRC.  Also just finished Philip K Dick's novelette "The Variable Man" last night.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/23/2022 6:32 am  #167

The new book by Victoria Goddard, "The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul", a follow-on to "The Hands of the Emperor" and "The Return of Fitzroy Angursell."

5/25/2022 2:56 pm  #168

Nighthawk  - have you read Portrait of a Wide Seas Islander. It is fascinating how she retells scenes from the point of view of Kip's Great Uncle. He notices totally different things. Its brilliant.
Sent me right back to "Hands of the Emperor" to compare perspectives.

Last edited by Pence (5/25/2022 2:59 pm)

5/25/2022 3:45 pm  #169

Pence wrote:

Nighthawk  - have you read Portrait of a Wide Seas Islander. It is fascinating how she retells scenes from the point of view of Kip's Great Uncle. He notices totally different things. Its brilliant.
Sent me right back to "Hands of the Emperor" to compare perspectives.

Yes, I have, and The Redoubtable Pali Avrampul does the same.  A real surprise to see how she perceived her interaction with His Radiancy.  Didn't expect that at all.

5/26/2022 11:17 am  #170

I have just finished inhaling 'Pali". So good. I did spend the entire book wanting to give Pali a good shake.Now to find out what happened in the spring on Alinor....

Board footera

Contact the Guild