Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2022 4:33 pm  #141

Re: What have you been reading lately?

starexplorer wrote:

I couldn’t agree more on Cyteen. One of the greatest SF books ever written, and CJC’s masterpiece, as I see it.

(parenthetically, I'll never forget the joy, and the smile on my face, when, about 150 pages in, I realized what the book was really about!)

Ok Star. Give it up - the realisation that is.  You can't just drop a narrative hook like that and expect me not to bite.

Fwiw, the other thing this re-read has done is to give me the explicit key to finally understanding exactly what is happening in Forty Thousand in Gehenna.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

1/09/2022 11:29 pm  #142

Surtac wrote:

starexplorer wrote:

I couldn’t agree more on Cyteen. One of the greatest SF books ever written, and CJC’s masterpiece, as I see it.

(parenthetically, I'll never forget the joy, and the smile on my face, when, about 150 pages in, I realized what the book was really about!)

Ok Star. Give it up - the realisation that is.  You can't just drop a narrative hook like that and expect me not to bite.

Fwiw, the other thing this re-read has done is to give me the explicit key to finally understanding exactly what is happening in Forty Thousand in Gehenna.

Haha - turnabout is fair play. But I really thought I was referring to the obvious in my comment. 
if anyone has not yet read Cyteen, please go do so forthwith. This a spoiler alert, a warning, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER AT PERIL OF SPOILAGE,
SPOLER ALERT
I'm still going to state this carefully lest someone incautiously stumble by…
After the fate is determined of very senior Reseune scientist Ari, we receive perhaps the best exploration of the nature/nurture dichotomy I’ve ever encountered in literature with respect to human personality. That seems to me to be the core of the book, and certainly the most compelling and even joyous piece. No doubt the book is about other things, a well-conceived society on a very different planet for one, etc. But this is the heart of the matter. 
Agree or no?

One world -- or none

1/10/2022 12:49 am  #143

I agree. But I won't say more right now for fear of spoilers.  Happy to discuss otherwise. 

1/10/2022 9:58 am  #144

I agree with you all.  Cyteen is without doubt one of the best pieces of Science Fiction ever written.  What a brilliant mind our CJ has.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

1/10/2022 11:44 am  #145

Surtac wrote:

I agree. But I won't say more right now for fear of spoilers.  Happy to discuss otherwise. 

I'm pretty sure everyone here has read Cyteen !

1/10/2022 2:19 pm  #146

If you haven't read Cyteen by now, you probably won't.  So, I see no harm in spoilery.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

1/10/2022 9:31 pm  #147

Ok, the ayes have it! Spoil away!

One world -- or none

1/10/2022 11:22 pm  #148

Ok, I'll start getting my disparate thoughts, such as they are, into some sort of order and I'll then spin up a new thread in the Grove.  That's likely the best location for such a discussion.

Be warned there will almost certainly be spoilers for both Cyteen and Forty Thousand in Gehenna.

1/11/2022 12:34 am  #149

Surtac wrote:

Ok, I'll start getting my disparate thoughts, such as they are, into some sort of order and I'll then spin up a new thread in the Grove.  That's likely the best location for such a discussion.

Be warned there will almost certainly be spoilers for both Cyteen and Forty Thousand in Gehenna.

Anxious to hear your thoughts!

One world -- or none

1/11/2022 9:53 am  #150

Cyteen is one of my all time favorites. I did not really understand Forty Thousand in Gehenna until I read Cyteen.
Looking forward to discussion.

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

Board footera

Contact the Guild