Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2021 12:51 pm  #1

Prices Are Jumping!

three weeks ago, a box of 32 K-cups of Folger's coffee was $12.  Yesterday, it was $20.12.  A gallon of gasoline in Ohio has now jumped from $2.63 to $2.94.  If you go to buy 4 X 8 foot sheets of 3/4" plywood, stand by for sticker shock, $107 the last time I checked.  2 X 4 stud lumber WAS $1.97 each for an 8' stud.  Now it's around $2.50 for the same, not as drastic an increase as the plywood or the coffee.......

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/06/2021 3:53 pm  #2

Re: Prices Are Jumping!

My initial thought when looking at yesterday's grocery purchase was that I was quite happy with what I got for my money, but then thought back to the end of 2019. Back then I would have never bought multiple flats of hamburger at $3 a pound and been gleeful about it as I portioned it up to toss in the chest freezer. These things creep up on one.
I think the packers are still going through the over-age hogs, from when they got shut down and deep-cleaned. The boneless chops I got yesterday weighed two chops to a pound, not three as usual. (But they were a price that I would have considered an ordinary special pre-covid.)

5/13/2021 2:33 pm  #3

Re: Prices Are Jumping!

we were discussing the price of lumber yesterday.  A businessman I know fairly well described the prices on the Chicago Board of Trade's listings, and they weren't anywhere near what the local stores are asking for lumber.  He said to drive around to the back of the stores and take a look at how much lumber they have, a whole lot, and yet, they're asking for a significantly larger price than normal.  In other words, he believes they're price fixing, but just haven't gotten caught, yet.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Board footera

Contact the Guild