Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2021 9:43 pm  #71

Re: Vaccination status?

Hearing lots of fear about the delta variant. Of course it pays to remain vigilant. But so far, vaccines, at least those authorized in the US, are doing a good job against all current variants. Not to say the number of break-through infections is zero, but it’s a low number and mostly mild cases. It’s the unvaccinated that are getting hit hard. Guardedly optimistic!

One world -- or none

7/21/2021 1:11 pm  #72

I'm getting my second jab today, in two hours.
The Powers That Be relented and changed their advice to eight weeks. They're also saying mixing vaccines is fine, but the CDC is saying not to so I'm booked for Pfizer this time as well.

Mask mandates were lifted over a week ago, but I'm concerned about the variants too.

8/02/2021 5:53 pm  #73

Finally managed to get a booking for my first jab.  It's still two weeks away but I'm finally in the queue.

Starting to get really worried about Delta getting  a foothold here in the ACT, surrounded as we are by the state of New South Wales, where an incompetent and corrupt state government has totally cocked up its Delta responses, a situation not at all helped by the way the federal government has totally failed its responsibility to secure and roll out sufficient vaccines and establish appropriate quarantine facilities. 

NSW state premier Gladys the Superspreading Bin Chicken really does seem to be heading up just a more modern version of NSW's infamous Rum Corps of early colonial history.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

8/02/2021 7:38 pm  #74

Tekkikin nadi:

Good to hear you've been able to get caught up  Also good to go with the CDC over "powers that be"--the CDC does have the better basis of knowledge for their recommendations.
Wouldn't worry excessively about Delta/+: its been observed that most folks who test positive for it--and have any vaccination--either don't know they're infected/asymptomatic or *very* mild cold symptoms. Which is the point of vaccines.  It's the ones without any vaccination that are dropping like flies.

Surtac nadi:
Sounds terrible down there. For a moment there, I though maybe our sTrumpette had managed to get loose and plague the Down Under. Hope things get worked out better. Good to hear that at least you're in line.

8/02/2021 8:38 pm  #75

Oh, the sTrumpettes and the other Right Wing Nut Jobs like Boris' Brexit Bozos have been infecting Aus politics for years now, via the common source of Rupert Murdoch's media ownership here and in the USA and UK.  The current federal government has been in bed with them for years, and the levels of corruption and rorting have been increasing at a rate that's positively obscene, even as they continue to fail at the two major federal responsibilities of the moment - quarantine and vaccine supply & rollout.

Have a look at the hashtag #auspol on twitter or tweetdeck if at all curious - you probably won't recognise many of the names, but the overall gist of things should be pretty clear.

8/02/2021 10:17 pm  #76

Like Griffin said, Those with the vaccine have little to fear of the variants. It's those without it who should worry. I had my second shot on st Patricks day. I have a very right-wing friend who objects to the vaccines on a spiritual level.  You cannot argue with that.  

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

8/02/2021 11:17 pm  #77

I agree completely Spence.  Being vaccinated is the clear sensible thing to do.

I was looking at the numbers associated with the current NSW outbreak earlier today - the total number of cases detected, the number of cases hospitalised, the number in ICU, and the number of deaths all have the same basic profile in that over 80% of people in each group were unvaccinated.

But politics and logic rarely seem to mix well these days.

8/03/2021 7:24 am  #78

I'm sorry to see that the United States isn't the only country that has made resistance to taking steps to survive a pandemic into a point of political pride.  

8/03/2021 8:52 am  #79

I am so sorry to see that this has been made a political thing elsewhere also.  It is what happens when people get attached to a story, and forget Diax's Rake (to quote Neal Stephenson from Anathem).

I'm good to go, vaccine-wise, but still worry about the ability to catch it and spread it asymptomatically, especially to persons with compromised immune systems.  So I'm still trying to be very careful with distance, handwashing, and masking.

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

8/03/2021 11:36 am  #80

When the FDA approves it for GENERAL USE, instead of just EMERGENCY USE, then I'll consider it.  Otherwise, it's my choice.  It's not political, it's a question of my rights to determine what goes into my body. If someone wants to make it political, I won't discuss it. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Board footera

Contact the Guild