Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2021 5:07 pm  #41

Re: Vaccination status?

Because of my profession I was near the head of the line and got Pfizer #1 in late January & #2 in mid-February. I nearly cried with relief when I got #1 -- it was surprisingly emotional. 

#1: minimally tender injection site; I've had many flu, tetanus, and other immunizations that were far worse. 
#2: side effects begun at 6 hours and significantly subsided by 36 hours.  Somewhat sore arm, temp 100.9, chills, sl. nausea, lassitude, muscle aches, headache, no appetite.  Refused chocolate.  At 30 hours it was almost like flipping a light switch (many others are reporting this too): I felt better by the hour and great by 36 hours.   

Because of my profession plus volunteer work at immunization sites I've heard side-effect stories by the thousands since December.  There seems to be no predicting how "noisy" an individual's immune system is (and post-vaccine side-effects are unrelated to efficacy).  A number of people don't even have a sore arm. Others have a few mild side-effects. Others, like me, are more symptomatic for 1-4 days.  I haven't personally known of a single person who had a "serious" reaction...which includes the day I worked in post-vaccine monitoring.  Our team gave nearly 600 Pfizer second doses that day.  Each person was queried prior to #2 administration and not a single person reported having serious issues after #1.  In fact, one man was asked prior to his 2nd dose how he felt after #1.  His reply: "Happy!!"

Totally agree with you, Star: this is global and must be managed that way.  No man is an island, particularly for this.
So interesting and excited you are in a study, Spence!
Congrats to everyone who is getting or has gotten immunized! 

4/08/2021 6:51 pm  #42

My first shot didn't do a thing. I'm lying in wait for the second one. We'll see just how "plastic" my immune system is. Sturdy as all getout, but we'll see.

Having an interesting "talk" with my niece. She works with little kids in a daycare place in VA. She's hemming and hawing over getting this vaccine. Says she doesn't like needles (only junkies do and even that's questionable) and that "if you're going to get the disease, you're going to get it". Oh yes, "I'm young and don't get flus and such". It's enough to make my beat my head against the door jamb. I had to point out to her that getting a vaccine means--maybe--getting a much lesser case of the disease vs no vaccine means dead--messily, protractedly and expensively. Or that this virus doesn't care about one's age or current health status: it's shown itself quite happy to take out young healthy people as well as elders w/out other conditions. I'm hoping I've been able to persuaded her to get the bloody shot.
Here's hoping.

Felicitous sk8er nandi: Please check you private messages here. THanks.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (4/13/2021 2:12 pm)

4/08/2021 9:48 pm  #43

Good luck Griffin-ji.  I hope your niece gets her head on straight about this and gets it done.  I felt liberated when I got my second shot.  It felt like Mike Tyson had hit my shoulder and I was a bit grumpy for a bit, but other than that, I was fine.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

4/09/2021 6:58 am  #44

really hope that everyone gets the vaccine. I just heard of two more deaths from covid, one who hung on for three months before she died. Plus a nephew who had it (ICU nurse) and is still having some after effects.
I had my second Moderna shot on Wednesday. The guy who administered the shot was amazing.  I didn't feel it at all. There is hardly any stiffness or ache at the shot site, but the after effects are much stronger with the second shot, both physically and mentally. I am more with it today.
We'll see, grasshopper............we'll see...........

Last edited by Smartcat (4/09/2021 6:59 am)

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

4/09/2021 8:38 am  #45

Can't understand the antivaxers. But I'm in the last generation that saw the effects of polio in our classmates. I had one whose mother fainted when she saw the iron lung waiting outside her child's hospital door ... that's how close she was to being in one. (fortunately she pulled through). And the so called childhood diseases are no joke -I caught measles in grad school, one of the last waves of that before the vaccines were widely distributed. It was a most unpleasant experiance. I had aftereffects for over a year.

4/09/2021 2:04 pm  #46

My wife got her 1st shot today (I got my 1-and-done J&J last month).

4/13/2021 9:52 am  #47

My daughter (30 yo) is getting her first shot today.

And I got my first Shringix shot, so yay no shingles for me ! 

4/13/2021 11:36 am  #48

at least the Shingrix vaccines have been fully tested and approved.  I got mine several years ago, it's a series of two shots.....sound familiar?  I've also gotten the pneumonia vaccines (also two shots), and now, I do the flu shot every fall, and when the immunization clinic says I'm up for one of the other approved vaccines, such as tetanus, yellow fever, typhoid fever, etc., I'll get them.  That's it, though.....my choice.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

4/13/2021 7:42 pm  #49

Still waiting for the opportunity to be vaccinated over here in the Outer Colonies.

The rollout has been a complete balls-up by our federal government - treated as a cynical political exercise from day 1 and now that it is actually needed on the ground it is simply missing in action - no secured supplies, no proper supply chain processes, no clarity of targeting priorities and no transparency around responsibilities. 

And now with the clotting risks showing up in the Astazeneca and J&J vaccines, there is even more blame-shifting and arse-covering going on.

So it goes.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

4/13/2021 7:49 pm  #50

Received first dose of Pfizer on (perhaps appropriately) April 1.  No specific date set for second dose , but was informed that I should received notice of my appointment shortly after April 22.

Board footera

Contact the Guild