Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2021 5:53 pm  #21

Re: Latest Kim Stanley Robinson

I have to admit I started Ministry last year but couldn't finish it - I found it too depressing in light of everything else going on in the world at the time.  And restarting it now while Canberra is still in lockdown is probably not a good idea.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

9/26/2021 6:03 pm  #22

Ironic, as it is essentially a novel of hope and overcoming. I cant say whether it's an example of Hopepunk 😉

One world -- or none

9/26/2021 7:40 pm  #23

Even more ironic in view of this morning's local news that our Glorious Leader, crime minister #Scottythefvkwit, is likely too scared to attend the upcoming world Climate Conference next month for fear of embarrassing himself and us over his corrupt governments climate inaction ahead of an election he has to call in the next six months.  So it goes.

Anyway as it happens, I'm between books right now.  I was going to start Piranesi but I think I'll give Ministry another go instead.  I shall report back in here.

Apologies btw for the political micro-rant.

9/26/2021 9:16 pm  #24

{Surtac, we're really worried about the state of Australia and the lockdowns. I hope you resolve the issues without too many disruptions.}

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

10/03/2021 5:17 pm  #25

I agree with your post earlier about KSR’s Aurora, Star. But that one, as you note, ended up being positive about fixing the problems on Earth that had led to the doomed extraterrestrial excursion. He might not believe in Mars anymore but he does see to believe that if we just try we can ensure that Earth can continue to be habitable.

Last edited by Kokipy (10/06/2021 2:27 pm)

10/04/2021 8:13 pm  #26

Well, I finished Ministry yesterday, having got past where I stalled last year quite easily on this attempt.  (Thinking back, I suspect the India heat death scenes were triggering flashbacks on our Black Summer bushfire season but I'll never know for sure.)

Overall I enjoyed it as another solid KSR climate change not-so-gentle polemic, probably a little more glass-half-full in tone than I remember from earlier books such as the Capitol trilogy.  The ending also reminded me strongly of the ending of Blue Mars (even though Mars seems to be mentioned only disparagingly in this book), and I saw hints of themes in common with The Years of Rice and Salt throughout in places (that one is still my favourite KSR title overall btw).  I also loved what looked to be in places a couple of sneaky shoutouts to some of his author contemporaries in Paul McAuley and Great Dismal.

Ministry struck me most of all as a fictionalised one volume summary of the International Political Economy unit of my MBA course years ago, laying out, as it does, the way the modern world 'works' or not depending on your point of view.  And that's not a bad thing, imo.

10/05/2021 5:33 pm  #27

I came across this list last night which includes Ministry as an example of cli-fi.  Still don't know whether it also counts as hopepunk.

The definitive climate fiction reading list – 20 books to explore cli-fi | Fix (grist.org)

Board footera

Contact the Guild